Friday, March 25, 2011

The Story of Mercy Flight Pilot, Rick Weaver

By Rick Weaver, Mercy Flight Pilot (Far Right)

"For the last year I’ve enjoyed serving the Lord through Samaritan Aviation as a Mercy Flight pilot. This has been the fulfillment of a dream for me as a blending of my passion for flying, meeting new people, and desire to serve, support and encourage others in need. The individuals and families we serve with Mercy Flights are under much stress and uncertainty. Most patients have stabilized medical conditions, but do not travel well except by air. It’s such an honor to be able to give them a break from the difficulties they are facing by providing a comfortable, safe, and timely flight. Flying over the mountains provides a new perspective and some relief from the realities they face. They are often open to discussing the ways God is working in their lives and we are often encouraged by their faith and unexplainable peace.

My interests in flying began as a young boy, raised by two WWII pilot parents. I earned my student pilots license in 1971, graduated from college and was married in 1976, then focused on raising a family. I remember one day reading an organization’s requirements for becoming a mission pilot. As I compared the requirement against my experience and age, I began to weep, feeling like that would be something I would deeply enjoy, but I would never be able to accomplish in this lifetime. Later, at the urging of a friend and flight instructor I was able to complete my private, commercial and instrument training and gained about 1,000 flight hours in a Cessna 210, similar to Samaritan’s. Not too many years ago I reflected while viewing the Jesus Film in a migrant worker’s camp in Mexico, and realized that the Lord had fulfilled the desire of my heart by allowing me to fly as a part-time mission pilot for Samaritan and other ministries.

After the Palm family relocated to Papua New Guinea, I also became one of the stateside contacts to help secure aircraft parts and supplies needed to keep the Cessna 206 flying safely. While I’m not too thrilled “turning wrenches” for very long, my attention to detail and experience maintaining equipment help with this job.

The Samaritan Team of staff, supporters, volunteers, mechanics, and other pilots are a joy to serve alongside."

No comments: